Monday 10 January 2011

Film Evaluation 1.

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?




The title of the film 
The title of my film is featured in the 9th frame. This is a simple title with a black background and a white writing. I made it simple so because I didn't want it to be to complex and ruin the opening sequence. By making it plain I also think that it represents the title of the film The Silence by this I mean that nothing is happening because the world has become silent. This type of title is quite stereotypical with horrors because its plain and that means that the viewer won't expect what's about to come onto the screen. This is the same with the opening sequence to Dawn of the Dead each title is in a plain font on a black screen and this means that the viewer won't see what's coming next and it will shock them even more. Whereas in the opening sequence for 28 Days Later they don't use the plain screen when portraying there titles. They use them on the shot and this way they don't carry the tension through the opening as well. 



Setting/Location 
The location of my film appears as the first shot in my opening. In the 1st key frame I set the location as somewhere on Earth, I do this by panning round a big empty field and not only does this show the location it also shows emptiness and that no one is around. I also do this in the 2nd frame where I show the outside of a house with blood speared across the door, this also gives off the idea of loneness to the viewer and also of the location. This is different to the opening to Dawn of the Dead which has clips from all over the world and also there people in these clips because they have used old and new news clips which make it look like the world is in panic.  

Costumes and props 
Normally in zombie films they rely on costumes because the realer the zombie looks the easier it is to believe the story and to make a zombie look real you need good make-up and a good costume and these cost quite alot of money. I did not have these so I tried to make my best looking zombie using make-up that I had borrowed. The costume that my zombie was wearing was a fairly standard shirt, top and jumper but we messed these so that she looked rough. I didn't really use any props in my opening sequence apart from my location.  

Camerawork and editing 
I tried to use as many different shots as I could when shooting this sequence. I used many different shots so that I could keep the pace going in my piece and through this it would add tension. So every-time I shot something I would also shoot it from another angle and I would also look for interesting angles also ones that are creative. When shooting I tried to shot things that looked normal from the outside but then in the editing process I could make them look strange or scary. When editing I used a range of effects on most of my shots, from just the simple back and white effect to the colour distortion effect. I tried to time these right as well because in the first shot which is the first key frame I timed the effect so that as the clip progressed more of the effect would be added. This turned out really well. In the editing process I also found a position where I would be able to use the green screen. In the 7th frame this is shown, first I recorded the legs of some of my actors against the green screen then when I copied the footage onto the computer. I then put this clip into a program called Adobe After Effects and from here I could put an image into the background and use the green screen technology. I found this challenging but fun to do and it gave the shot a really rough look which went well. 
This is a screenshot of my opening in development using Adobe PremierPro.


Title font and style 
The title font in set up in a standard font just like all the other titles in the sequence they are also in the same position. This shows that the titles are simple and also that the opening sequence is on a simple subject. 

Story and how the opening sets it up 
In the first shot of my opening sequence a big empty field and then following in this a montage of clips showing different house my main character trying to close the door on something. These shots show that a character is trying to get away from something that hasn't been reveled yet. I show quite alot of different clips all stuck together into a montage and the beginning of the story is slowly reveled through this technique. Then the characters voice asks for help this gives the information that she is still alive. Then the character screams towards the end which may suggest the mystery creature has killed her but to keep the story going at the end. I added in the shot of a door opening and voice saying hello which will add in mystery and will make the viewer want to carry on watching the film. One of the criticisms I got from feedback was that the story wasn't explained clearly enough. I think I could use the feedback to improve on my opening by adding more story based shots into the montage so that the story is better explained. 
  

Genre and how the opening suggests it 
The genre of my film is a horror and my opening portrays this by being mysterious because most of my shots are random and don't make much sense towards a main story. The music used in my sequence also suggests that my opening is a horror because its fast paced which adds tension and its also quite dark which makes the viewer feel scared. I also think that the shots of the hands coming round the door suggest that the opening is a horror because this will shock the viewer and suggest violence. 

How are characters introduced 
My opening sequence only introduces the main character and it does this by introducing her voice only so that my opening sequence only revels a part of the character. This will make the viewer want to carry on watching my opening sequence so they can see what the main character looks like and also what the zombies look like. 

Special FX 
I used a big range on many of the my clips. I used FX to help give my shots a more creepy feel and I think they worked well. I also used green screen technology on one shot and this means that I could choose the background that I wanted which means that I could shot in a place that I wouldn't normally be able to get to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment